Monday, December 12, 2011

Book About the Austin Outlaws

NOTE: THE ANNOUNCEMENT OF MY BOOK MAY HAVE BEEN PREMATURE.  I'VE TEMPORARILY SUSPENDED UNTIL I CAN WORK OUT A COUPLE COMPUTER GLITCHES.  SHOULDN'T TAKE LONG. 

This blog was created out of respect and admiration for the Austin Outlaws.  I've been following the team since around 2004 and gathered lots of stories and hundreds of photos which I've been sharing here.  The intent is to entertain blog visitors (that's you) and to promote the team. 

Blogger.com, host of this blog, has a blog-to-book service.  Jump through a few hoops and they'll compile selected blog posts into a PDF file suitable for a book.  This past weekend I did the jumping and came up with a book composed of selected blog posts.  I included posts published through December 7, 2011.  I deleted the "Random Fan Photo" posts because I wasn't confident fans would want to be in my book.  And I deleted a couple non-football posts.  Aside from those deletions, the PDF file contained all my posts set up in ready-to-publish-book-form. 

I then went to Lulu, a print-on-demand publisher and had them use the PDF file to create books, titled "The Austin Outlaws, Women Who Play Football."  Lulu created two editions, one a paperback and the other an ebook in  PDF format.  

I haven't seen the paperback version yet and I'm a little concerned the photos won't be as brilliant as I would prefer.  And I had problems formatting the book to suit me.  The Lulu computer just took the Blogger.com document and set it up as a Lulu book.  So this isn't a work of art.  It isn't perfect.  But it is kind of cool.  I've ordered a few copies of the paperback edition to be delivered to me hopefully this week.  When I get them I'll let you know what I think of the reproduction quality. 

The paperback version is expensive.  It costs a lot extra to produce lots of color photos - and I did include lots of color photos.  It will sell for about $55.  The PDF costs $7.95 for a download to your computer.

I'm telling you this here because some of my friends with the Outlaws will be touting the book for me - I love 'em.  I want to be certain you know the story behind this, my first venture in to book writing and publishing.  And I suspect you'll see a volume 2 in the not too distant future.

You can check out the Lulu catalog for the books at these links:

http://www.lulu.com/product/paperback/austin-outlaws---women-who-play-football/18741500?productTrackingContext=search_results/search_shelf/center/1


http://www.lulu.com/product/ebook/austin-outlaws---women-who-play-football-pdf-edition/18742341?productTrackingContext=search_results/search_shelf/center/2

Or go to Lulu.com and search "women who play football."

I'd love to get your feedback.  What do you think about books about the Outlaws?

No comments: