Monday, April 9, 2012

Why?

Saturday, April 14,  is the first game of the season.  I'll be there.  And it is nearby.  At Round Rock High School's Dragon Stadium on Hwy 620 a mile or two west of IH-35.

Sorry this blog has been neglected the past week.   I was going to say I went to a car show, which I did.  But that was nearly two weeks ago.  Austin Mobility Solutions is an amazing business at Pflugerville.  They sell and service vans for the disabled.  I got to know them when I needed to transport my wife's step-dad who in a wheelchair. 

Two weeks ago they held an open house and also hosted a car show.  I shot lots of photos.  This was my first attempt at shooting cars.  I'd say I didn't do a very good job. 

When I first started  photographing and interviewing Outlaws, I asked "Why?"  Why would women play football? 

When I was photographing some of the cars at the car show, I found myself asking "Why?"  Why would anyone do that to a car?  The cars were cool.  

I've been working on another project for my friends at Austin Mobility Solutions.  I'm learning that I do much better shooting action sports.  Like at the Outlaws practice on Saturday, March 31. 

With opening day a week away the players are having to get serious.  The March 31 practice was the week after the Waco scrimmage.  I'm probably seeing something not really there but I have to believe player's view of the practice had to change just a little after testing skills on a field with an opponent.
The receiver above is focused.  Concentrating.  I wonder if she is imagining real-game conditions.  Someone in a different colored uniform is going to try to get between me and the ball, and going to try to knock the ball loose if I do catch it.  But the one on the left is smiling.  This is fun!  Serious fun.  Doesn't that describe football?




I don't know why people do all those amazing things to their cars.  I do have a pretty good idea of why people, even women, play football.  Serious fun.

Serious fun. I'm looking forward to some serious fun next Saturday. 

 

No comments: