Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Stuff, Coming Posts, Follow-up on August 6 post

Summertime blues.  Not even watching pre-season football.  Normally this time of the year is exciting after a long lack of football on TV.  Other sports just don't make it, do they? 

We do have a few projects going on for this blog.  I'm just a little slow getting them ready to post.  One project is a profile of Maile Capers-Cristobal.  To be followed soon after by a profile of Malia Capers-Cristobal.  I've done all the preliminary interviewing and drafting with Maile.  Just a few fine points to complete.  She's an iinteresting young lady. 






Not quite as far along with Malia but it shouldn't take long now.






Maile and Malia are sisters from Hawaii.  Their profiles are interesting in many ways.  In fact, after the individual profiles I'm planning a discussion of the Hawaiian culture. 

I'm also working on a one or two part series about the officials in Outlaws football games.  Funny, I've been a football fan for sixty years and never bothered to check out officiating.  When I do the post on the officials, I'll answer questions I know you've been asking.  Like how many officials are there?   Why do some wear white hats and other black? 

My aim is two posts per week.  I'm missing that this week - well, unless you want to be very generous counting.  My last post was the 8th.  Technically, this is within a week of that one but only by a few hours.  I will make it a mission to post at least once each week and I'll try to do two.

Not that I'm lacking topics.  Did you notice that, dull as preseason NFL can be, the Colts beat the Rams 38-3?  Beating the Rams isn't remarkable, everybody does it.  But the Colts no longer have Peyton Manning.  Rookie QB Andrew Luck completed 10 of 16 passes for 188 yards and scored on three of his four drives. 

And RG3 (Robert Griffin III), our Baylor Heisman winner,  looked good with the Redskins completing  4 of 6 for 77 yards and one score.

Another topic - how do some teams get soooo good?

In an earlier post (August 6) I wondered about how those playoff teams got so good.  If you watched the WFA (Women's Football Alliance) championship game, you saw some really good football in an exciting and competitive game.  I wondered in my post how some teams get so much better than others.  The top five scored over 45 points per game and allowed opponents 10.  The bottom 16 teams scored under 10 points per game. 

So how did the Diamonds, the San Diego Surge, the Chicago Force, the Boston Militia, and the Kansas City Tribe get so good?  I posed the question in my posting and solicited reader input. 

One reader, Kara commented:
San Diego got pretty good because they cannibalized players from a few teams around Southern California. You might notice how a few teams have basically dropped off the map (Quake, Amazons, Breakers) from either being a good team or simply having a team, to no longer competing or even having a team.

My first reaction to Kara was to ask if this is bad.  What is more important, giving lots of players the opportunity to play?  Or filtering the competition until the best players are the only ones playing?  Should the league have tiers with teams of similar talent levels facing each other?  And if we like that idea, how on earth would be manage it? 

I'm thinking the disparity in talent levels is an obstacle to women's pro ball becoming a financial success.  If all the games were as competitive as the quarter-final, semi-final, and championship games, the league just might draw a larger audience.  Maybe many games could be televised on ESPN-3. 

What do you think? 

No comments: