Friday, July 15, 2011

The Eyes of Texas

The black & white television cameras used to zoom in on Mike Singletary, a fierce linebacker for the Chicago Bears, and focus on his eyes.  He was intimidating.  Pro football players aren't easily intimidated but Singletary's stare had to give opposing quarterbacks something to think about. 

I wondered if any intimidation goes on in Outlaws games.  I browsed game photos and studied player eyes.  Yes,  intimidation is part of Outlaws football.   


This is the Mike Singletary stare done Outlaws style.  I wonder if
the quarterback (Wilke?) is intimidated by the linebacker who is
zeroed in on her.  And where is the defensive line?




  If I were Dallas' Newkirk I'd be intimidated.  Wouldn't you?

Number 75 is huge, Julie Wilke isn't.  If I were Julie I'd be
intimidated.  Time to run or pass.  Get out of there.
This is Bridgette Brown.  I've seen her tackle opposing
running backs.  She is strong and fierce on the field. 
And focused and intimidating just sitting on the bench.
I've met her.  She's really a quiet pleasant person. 


















Kids in sports learn early on to "keep you eye on the ball," a principle generalized and quoted ad nauseum in business meetings to remind managers to keep focused on enterprise goals.  When I started this little study of players' eyes I was stuck by the focus.  In the following photos, the players are focused on the goal, which is sometimes the other player. 

Shadana with the ball.  Off the field she is fun loving, laughing, smiling.
Never serious.  I wanted a serious photo when I was shooting
her for the Outlaws website.  Couldn't get one.  She couldn't not smile.
But put the ball in her hand - brow furrows, eyes glare at
would-be tacklers.  Fake left, break right, pick up serious yards.

This could be filed with the intimidation photos but the quarterback
doesn't know she's in trouble so isn't intimidated.  But Soho is focused,
eye on the ball/quarterback/objective.  

























The Dallas tackler doesn't have that intimidating glare -
but she is focused. 


Two players eye-to-eye, each focused on controlling the other.
Every play matches athletes in contests of strength and will.


My favorite photos,  found when I looked at eyes of the players,  are two that made me smile.  



The ball is coming - why is the receiver looking at me? 
Why isn't her eye on the ball?  I don't know.





Julie is one of my favorite and was the subject of a recent player profile in this blog.
I love her expression as she rolls out to her left looking for an escape route.







No comments: